50 State Challenge Map

50 State Challenge Map
States completed

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Time for the foot doctor?

Since I got back from Minneapolis I've felt a bruise like feeling on my right foot.  It's directly where the arch of my foot meets the heel.  Not center on the bottom of my foot but more inwards on the left side of my right foot.  Right there in that area.  So I can't say it's specifically the arch or the heel.  I've been concerned now because a few friends of mine have suffered from Planter Fasciitis.  I've heard it's painful and can knock a runner off his/her feet for months.  We can't have that happen here. 

There is a comforting note.  I do not feel intense pain first thing in the morning when I get up on my feet.  That seems to be a common symptom for anyone suffering from this.  So that's good.  However, I do feel discomfort (no pain) when I'm simply sitting at my desk at work.  That's concerning me a bit.  It's also noted on most sites that running shoes that are worn down and no longer providing support may be a cause.  I've had my current running shoes since July of last year (nearly 11 months).  They were used to train for the Marine Corps Marathon, run the marathon, train afterwards, and now for all of my Halfs that I've been running.  I think it's a good time to purchase a new set.

So I'm sorta in a state of limbo as to if this is leading up to something more serious or just an annoying soreness that will eventually go away.  However, I'm not taking any chances.  I made an appointment with a podiatrist to check this out next Wednesday.  In the meantime, I'm not going to run.  I will be icing my foot every night this week and going to my gym to work out on the bike.  I've been debating now getting more into biking so this is as good a time as any to get the legs moving on the stationary.  Biking, ice, rest, and ibuprofen.  That's the plan for the week.

If I'm feeling better by this weekend I may try to go for a 3-5 mile jog.  We'll see how I'm feeling by then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment