50 State Challenge Map

50 State Challenge Map
States completed

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Maine, whales and more lobster

It was a fun day today that saw us spotting a number of fin whales off the coast of Boothbay Harbor in the Gulf of Maine.  I have never seen a whale up close before so needless to say it was quite an experience.  We saw a few not too far from our boat but it was the last sighting that really caught everyone's eye.

A fin whale came up for air just within 30 yards of the boat giving us an up close viewing that I never saw coming.  It was so close that everyone on the bow of the boat could literally feel the spray of the water that he/she exhaled.  It was great.  However, because I was caught off guard and busy taking in the experience, there is no photo to record the moment.  But, take my word for it ...  it was awesome.

Afterwards it was time for dinner and my last Maine lobster for the weekend.  Therefore I decided to go all out and get the 3-pounder.  I know what you're thinking.  I should be carbo loading for my race tomorrow.  Well, take a look at the photo below and you tell me if you could resist a lobster like that.

Race day tomorrow and more pics to close the weekend.





Our boat the Pink Lady II


Pushing away from the coast




LOOK IT'S A WHALE!

And another
Yep another







No more whales but I just like this pic of the ocean

Heading back to land



More lobster

Awesome






Dinner view

Three pound lobster to prep me for some marathoning

In case you need to see it from another angle

1 comment: