50 State Challenge Map

50 State Challenge Map
States completed

Monday, August 20, 2012

Rhode Island race day

A great Half Marathon yesterday, Providence!  Not only was the course a lot of fun but the weather couldn't have been better (sunny 60s)

Start time was at 7 am in front of the State Capitol.  My sister Maria and I headed out from the Biltmore at 6:15.  It was a good turnout.  The headcount of runners came in at 3,574.  The route went throughout downtown Providence, had nice scenic water views along the final mile of the course, and the finish line ended back downtown in front of the Capitol building with a post-race concert.  It was a lot of fun.  There were also great crowds along the course with bands performing at every mile.  A nice job, Providence.  Also, unlike recent races, I had no issues with my Plantars.  I did switch sneakers recently and have been icing it more so hopefully no issues moving forward.

Overall, I placed 299 out of 3,574 with a finish time of 01:41:30.  My pace came in at 7:45.  I completed the 5K in 23:40, 10K 47:24, and 10 mile in 1:16:18.  

I found Maria and Rich after the finish and headed back to the hotel to pack up.  We had brunch at Joe's which is along the finish line mile.  It was nice to cheer some runners on while enjoying my steak and eggs.  From there we checked out and headed to Newport.  I posted some great pics of downtown Newport and views up on the cliff along the beach.  We left as the sun was coming down to get back to NJ before it got too late.  I'll simply let my pictures do the talking.

In the end, this was not just a fun Half to run but also a great weekend overall.  Big thanks to my sister and Rich for coming with me to be my cheering section.

Up next:  Philadelphia


No comments:

Post a Comment