50 State Challenge Map

50 State Challenge Map
States completed

Monday, July 2, 2012

A hot, hot weekend

It was a very hot and humid weekend here in DC surpassing 100 degrees Friday - Sunday.  See here as it appears to not be letting up this Monday morning - "From St. Louis, Missouri, to Washington, D.C., temperatures were forecast to hit more all-time records on Monday."

However, that didn't keep me from hitting the pavement all weekend.  I did a light four -miler Friday evening once it started to cool down a bit.  Then I was up early Saturday to go along the same route and then a 7 am run on Sunday with my running group.  It was our usual Sunday route from Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington to the National Monument in DC and back.  But, man was it humid.  Towards the end we took every water break we could and slowed down the pace with the occasional walk.  You've really got to be careful in these temps as it can seriously lead to heat stroke regardless of your age or endurance level.  So I wasn't taking any chances and kept my start times early morning, way before peak times.

I'll see how the temperature is later today after work to try to get one in if possible.  Good times.

Oh, and a special shoutout to my good buddy Mike Toole who also braved the NYC temperatures this past weekend to get himself back into his running routine.  Mike's had an on and off again relationship with the running shoes but I like that he always gives an effort to get back into it.  In the end, I know he's here to stay.  I'm currently planning my 2013 running calendar and I know he'll be joining me on at least one Half next year (hopefully more)  It should be fun.  Look out for the pics.  If there's one thing he's good at, it's taking a good picture (see pic that follows)

No comments:

Post a Comment